Summary of Tasks
The Program Specialist—Full Time non-exempt (35 hours/week) in collaboration with the Director of Programs and Services—supports the creation, implementation and evaluation of programs, activities and special events at the Center; this position schedules and publicizes programs, activities and special events. The position provides information about the Center and regional programs and services to LGBTQ persons and families, and provides referrals to appropriate agencies. The Program Specialist recruits, trains and supervises the Center’s diverse and committed volunteer corps. This person is responsible for the management, maintenance, and growth of the Center’s various social media platforms and digital presence. The Program Specialist oversees space usage and scheduling and collaborates with the various groups affiliated with the Center. They are responsible for data collection, entry, and monthly reporting on programs and services provided by the Center.
The specific tasks for the position include:
- Assists in coordination and implementation of all Center events;
- Oversees online and printed Center calendars;
- Supports events that take place at the Center (O+, Pride month activities, dances, QueerCon, panel discussions, etc.), and represents the Center at community events and meetings;
- Manages social media platforms and website with the goal of increasing reach and engagement;
- Recruits, interviews, trains, places, and supports Center volunteers in activities including but not limited to library management, front desk reception, tabling, data entry, group leadership, etc.;
- Responds to phone calls, emails, walk-ins and other communications from individuals seeking information and/or referrals to service providers;
- Develops copy, content, and design for print and other e-communications;
- Develops and maintains a list of resource and services that meet the needs of the LGBTQ community, including listings in the Center’s health care and business directories;
- Supports high school LGBTQ clubs in the Hudson Valley by communicating with advisors, visiting club meetings, presenting on relevant topics, connecting members with resources and opportunities, and responding to other needs;
- Collects and maintains data from the Center’s group facilitators, social media platforms, and additional databases for grant reporting;
- Coordinates Center space usage;
- Represents Center at outreach events throughout the Hudson Valley and actively seeks out new opportunities for the Center to engage in outreach;
- Supports the J. Tracy Hermann Youth Scholarship program by coordinating the scholarship committee and engaging youth and youth-serving organizations;
- Completes other tasks as assigned by the Director of Programs and Services.
- A strong commitment to the Hudson Valley LGBTQ Community Center’s mission, values, and goals;
- Familiarity with LGBTQ culture;
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and telephone communication skills;
- Experience in community organizing, networking, and/or outreach activities;
- Excellent time management and organizational skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, etc.), Google Suite (Forms, Sheets, etc.), WordPress, and/or a willingness to learn new software;
- Graphic design experience (i.e. InDesign, Photoshop, Canva, etc.), and/or a willingness to learn new software;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a collegial work environment;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining attention to detail;
- Ability to lift 25 lbs;
- Associate’s degree or equivalent work experience;
- Proficiency in languages other than English, especially Spanish, is a plus but not required.
The Hudson Valley LGBTQ Community Center is an equal opportunity employer; we especially encourage applications from people of color, those who identify as a part of the LGBTQ community, and persons with disabilities.
To apply, please email cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com or mail to Director of Programs and Services, Hudson Valley LGBTQ Community Center, P.O. Box 3994, Kingston, New York 12402.