Job Description for Program Specialist – Full Time
Hudson Valley LGBTQ Community Center
Summary of Tasks
The Program Specialist—in collaboration with the Director of Programs and Services—supports the creation, implementation and evaluation of programs, activities and special events at the Center. The position provides information about the Center and regional programs and services to LGBTQ persons and families, and provides referrals to appropriate agencies. The Program Specialist works with groups that use the Center to ensure appropriate use of space, provision of supplies and access to the Center; schedules and publicizes programs, activities and special events; and is responsible for data collection, entry, and monthly reporting on programs and services provided by the Center. The Program Specialist recruits, trains and supervises the Center’s diverse and committed volunteer corps.
The Program Specialist reports directly to the Program Director and works closely with:
- Executive Director
- Office Manager
- Center friends and supporters
- Health care agencies and offices
- Social service agencies
The specific tasks for the position include:
- Assists in coordination and implementation of all Center events;
- Oversees the updating and printing of the monthly online and printed Center calendars;
- Supports outside events that take place at the Center (O+, Pride week activities, dances, panel discussions, etc.), and represents the Center at community events and meetings;
- Responds to phone calls, emails, walk-ins and other communications from individuals seeking information and/or referrals to service providers;
- Develops and maintains a list of providers and services that meet the needs of the LGBTQ community, including listings in the Center’s health care and business directories;
- Supports administration of the Center’s Cultural Competency Trainings by printing and collating training materials and recording training evaluation data;
- Collects and maintains data from the Center’s group facilitators, social media profiles, and additional databases for grant reporting;
- Recruits, interviews, trains and places Center volunteers;
- Completes other tasks as assigned by the Director of Programs and Services.
- A strong commitment to the Hudson Valley LGBTQ Community Center’s mission, values, and goals;
- Familiarity with LGBTQ culture;
- Excellent interpersonal and telephone skills;
- Experience in networking and outreach activities;
- Excellent time management, organizational, and written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a collegial work environment;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite (Word and Excel, Publisher, etc.) and graphic design experience;
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent work experience.
To apply, please email cover letter, resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Program Director, Hudson Valley LGBTQ Community Center, P.O. Box 3994, Kingston, New York 12402.