The Counselor (LCSW, LMSW, LMHC, MSW) of the Well-Being Institute (WBI), a program of the Hudson Valley LGBTQ+ Community Center, is responsible for providing direct individual short-term and group counseling with a special focus on youth, older adults, people of color and those of transgender/GNC experience. The Counselor reports to the Director of the Well-Being Institute and is responsible for supporting them in the day-to-day administrative work of the WBI. The Counselor will work with the Director in the planning and implementation of Wellness and Mental Health programming for the WBI.
- Provide confidential short-term, solution-focused counseling for LGBTQ+ individuals, couples and families with a special focus on youth, older adults, people of color and those of transgender/GNC experience as the target populations
- Provide community members and clients with referrals to appropriate organizations and services, as needed.
- Plan and facilitate group counseling in cycles of 8-12 sessions
- In collaboration with the Director, develop and implement the WBI’s education, health, and wellness programming with a special focus on youth, older adults and those of transgender/GNC experience
- Facilitate the Community Acupuncture Clinic, as needed.
- Collaborate with the Director on creating an LGBTQ+ informed/affirming mental health practitioner directory
- Track, maintain and report internal statistics on counseling services, programs, events and activities related to the WBI
- Attend weekly staff meeting
- Attend Bi-Weekly Anti-Racism staff discussion group
- Attend training courses, workshops, etc. as related to job requirements
- Build working relationships with community organizations and resources
- Represent the WBI and Center in various community settings including committees, boards and meetings, as needed
- Attend and participate in various Center related activities and events including LGBTQ+ Pride, and other large-scale events
- Other job duties as assigned by the Director
- LCSW, LMSW, LMHC, MSW
- Ability to use various theoretical frameworks in relation to individual/group needs
- Ability to work flexibly with LGBTQ+ individuals who are navigating complex social, economic, and healthcare issues
- Minimum of two-years experience in providing supervised individual and group counselling
- Strong understanding of unique societal factors and barriers to care faced by LGBTQ+ communities
- Knowledge and awareness of community resources
- Experience working with LGBTQ+ youth, older adults, people of color and those of transgender experience preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong assessment skills and proven ability to assess risk
- Training, knowledge and demonstrated ability/competence in crisis theory and crisis intervention
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of color, diverse cultural and economic backgrounds, those who identify as a part of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities
- Ability to work independently from home; deliver services remotely using Zoom as needed.
- Written and verbal fluency in Spanish, preferred
- Strong written and communication skills
If you would like to apply for this position, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Counselor Position” in the subject line.
The Hudson Valley LGBTQ+ Community Center is an equal opportunity employer; we especially encourage applications from People of Color, those who identify as TGNC, a part of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities. To find out more about the Center please visit https://lgbtqcenter.org/