Summary of Tasks
The Youth Outreach Coordinator—in collaboration with the Director of Programs and Services—supports the creation, implementation and evaluation of youth-centered programs, activities, support, and special events offered through the Center. This full-time non-exempt position (35 hours per week) directly plans and facilitates youth groups, such as the Center’s Queer Youth Ambassadors program, Chill Out: Teen Drop-In, League of Extraordinary Genders and Solidarity for Middle Schoolers groups. The Youth Outreach Coordinator also serves as a direct liaison for middle, junior and high schools in Dutchess, Ulster, Sullivan and Orange counties, focusing on socialization, anti-bullying, mental health, self-esteem, suicide prevention, and coming out/exploring gender and sexuality. This position spends a considerable amount of time on-site at schools and with LGBTQ+ youth-serving organizations, providing support for LGBTQ+ identifying students, working with GSAs, and providing education and resources for staff and administrators. They are responsible for creating and distributing monthly newsletters with information pertaining to Hudson Valley LGBTQ+ youth to schools and local organizations. The Youth Outreach Coordinator also provides data collection, entry, and monthly reporting on youth-centered programs and services provided by the Center.
The specific tasks for the position include:
- Coordinates and implements youth-related Center activities, programs and events, including advertising and evaluation;
- Designs and distributes monthly LGBTQ+ youth newsletters to schools and LGBTQ+ youth-serving organizations to provide resources and advertise youth-centered programming information from the Center and other organizations;
- Supports middle school, junior high school and high school LGBTQIA+ youth in the Hudson Valley by communicating with school administrators and staff, visiting GSA club meetings, presenting on relevant topics, offering programs, tabling and advertising Center programs and services, connecting members with resources and opportunities, and responding to other needs;
- Creates and maintains lists for contacts at middle, junior and high schools in Dutchess, Ulster, Sullivan and Orange counties;
- Plans, facilitates, and advises the Center’s Queer Youth Ambassadors, League of Extraordinary Genders, Chill-Out Teen Drop-In and Solidarity for Middle Schoolers groups, conducting weekly & bi-weekly meetings while providing support, oversight of budget and coordinate development opportunities;
- Plans and implements an annual Queer Con conference for LGBTQ+ teens in the Hudson Valley, providing speakers, workshops, resources, and development opportunities;
- Coordinates and chaperones youth trips to conferences (ex: Common Threads), workshops;
- Organizes and facilitates specialty youth programming and oversight of youth programming budget in collaboration with the Director of Programs and Services;
- Represents the Center at designated community events and meetings;
- Supports the J. Tracy Hermann Youth Education Fund program by leading the scholarship committee, engaging youth and youth-serving organizations and notifying selected participants;
- Communicates with Center communications Team to provide promotional information for youth programs;
- Responsible for data collection, entry, and monthly reporting on youth programs and services provided by the Center;
- Attends and participate in weekly Center staff meetings, anti-racism meetings, mandatory staff trainings, and provide Center building coverage as needed;
- Completes other tasks as assigned by the Director of Programs and Services.
- A strong commitment to the Hudson Valley LGBTQ+ Community Center’s mission, values, and goals;
- A strong understanding of LGBTQ+ culture and the diverse intersections of identities within the community including, but not limited to, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, sex, ability status, age, socioeconomic class, language, religion and citizenship status
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a collegial work environment;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining attention to detail;
- Proficiency in languages other than English, especially Spanish, is a plus but not required;
- Access to reliable transportation;
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and telephone communication skills;
- Excellent time management and organizational skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, etc.), Microsoft 365 (Outlook, SharePoint, One Drive, Forms, Teams etc.) and/or a willingness to learn new software;
- Newsletter design experience (i.e. InDesign, Photoshop, Canva, etc.), and/or a willingness to learn new software.
Benefits and Compensation
- Salary: $27.47 per hour (up to $50,000 annually)
- Hybrid Work
- 401k plan
- Health insurance, dental and vision plans available
- Paid vacation, sick and personal time, in addition to observed holidays
- To be considered for the Youth Outreach Coordinator position, send both a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
- The search committee will review applications in early January 2023
The Hudson Valley LGBTQ+ Community Center is an equal opportunity employer; we especially encourage applications from People of Color, those who identify as a part of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities.